The sound of a crackling fire, the aromatic scent of fresh herbs wafting through the air as the dynamic spices and flavors of the earth come together to make a delicious summer meal. Diana Yen, Food Consultant, Recipe Developer, Food Stylist and Author of ‘A Simple Feast’ shares with us a delicious, refreshing, and healthy dish to celebrate Independence Day. Gather with the ones you love by cooking over an open fire amidst nature while sharing stories, laughter, and good food.
Shrimp & Scallop Herb Bundles - Serves 4-6
You will need:
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb. scallops
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Berbere spice (or 1:1 cumin and smoked paprika). Berbere is a traditional Ethiopian spice blend composed of: chiles, garlic, fenugreek and a handful of warm spices, such as allspice and cinnamon
- Bunches of herbs and flowers: rosemary, chamomile, lemon verbena, lavender
- Lemon wedges, for finishing
- Twine for bundling
- Coat shrimp and scallops with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Dust shrimp with Berbere spice.
- To make bundles: Spread out a thin layer of herbs or flowers (keeping it sparse will let more heat through to cook). Place 2-3 shrimps or scallops on top. Top with more herbs and flowers, tie the bundle up with twine. Repeat with remaining seafood.
- Cook on a grate over your campfire for 5-8 minutes, gently flipping halfway through, until they turn opaque. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over and serve.