One of our favorite LA-based artists, Lauren Miranda, brings her creativity to the kitchen with this easy and delicious cake for two. We’re loving the seasonal blend of lemon and vanilla bean, plus the kick of rich spices from her delectable frosting. Follow along to fill your home with the sweet scent of summer.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Spices (adjust to your liking)
- Coriander seed
- Black peppercorn
- Sesame seed
- Small piece of star anise
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a bowl, set aside
- Cream sugar and butter for 5 minutes, and in a separate bowl combine eggs, sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon.
- Slowly combine the wet ingredients together and gradually add the dry until just incorporated (batter will be thick)
- Line the bottom of an 8" cake pan with parchment and a bit of butter. pour the mix in and give it some hard taps so the batter settles
- Bake for 15 min, then rotate. Continue for another 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool
- Whip the heavy cream in a chilled silver bowl for 2-3 minutes, on high. slowly add the sugar, the vanilla, the zest and the pinch of salt.
- Beat until desired consistency, you'll want it to be thick but still pillowy
- While you whip, lightly toast coriander seed, cloves, peppercorns, sesame seeds and star anise. 2-3 minutes max.
- Remove from heat and use a molcajete/mortar and pestle to lightly crush
Remove the cake with an offset spatula, place on a plate and then top with dollops of the whip. Sprinkle with your toasted spices, enjoy with some hot black coffee! Explore Lauren's playlist, the perfect for a day of baking, hanging with the cat, and relaxing at home.