Join Circularity, Say "No" To Waste
Every year, the US generates 21 billion pounds of post-consumer textile trash. We at Coyuchi are closing the loop on textile creation and saying “no” to waste. Because the planet isn’t disposable, and your linens shouldn’t be either.
Since 1991 we have been evaluating the full life of a product — from the farm or ranch where the fiber is produced to where that product ends up. That’s why we use only organic cotton and other natural fibers, we actively work with industry partners to ensure environmental performance at our production facilities, and we’re continuing to expand our circular program: 2nd Home by Coyuchi.
- 46% reduced global warming potential
- 70% less acidification potential
- 26% reduced eutrophication potential (soil erosion)
- 91% reduced blue water consumption
- 62% reduced primary energy demand
Eventually all goods — even the purest organic textiles — reach the end of their life cycles. Our innovative takeback program, 2nd Home, keeps fresh linens in the home and finished linens out of landfills.
What is 2nd Home?
What happens to the retired linens?
- First, we determine if the product should be renewed, upcycled, or recycled. If it’s renewable, the linens are sent to be cleaned in the least wasteful and most effective way: with liquid CO2 to remove oils, particulates, and odor that degrade the product.
- If the product cannot be renewed, the material is upcycled into something new.
- If the material is too damaged to be used again, it is aggregated for recycling. Textile recycling is new to the home market, so Coyuchi is contributing research to a pilot program that addresses this growing need.
The Growing Impact Of Circularity
- The energy of 2,227 light bulbs per year
- The carbon of 1,924 gallons of gas
- The water of 25 Olympic swimming pools
- 33,953 lbs of toxic chemicals saved
- 19,031 lbs of textile waste diverted from landfill
Coyuchi has taken back 19,031 lbs (approximately 2,500 units) of fabric:
- 83% of the product we have received from our customers can be mended, cleaned, and resold in our store
- The remaining 17% can be recycled — we plan to use 60% of this fabric to make our very first recycled product this year
- Around 5,000 lbs of product have been renewed and resold year-to-date from this program
Introducing Coyuchi's First Recycled Blanket
Coyuchi linens are made to last lifetimes, but when you are ready to move on to something new, you can feel your best knowing that the linens you've loved will never go to waste.