We are always searching for recipes that focus on the simplicity and freshness of seasonal fruits and vegetables. We believe it is deeply nourishing to cook with the best that nature has to offer and Caitlin Shoemaker of From My Bowl has endless organic meal inspiration. We are excited that Caitlin created a special summer dish for Coyuchi. Focused on the simplicity of the gorgeous ingredients and paired beautifully with our organic table linens, this dish is a great addition to your next summer BBQ.
Whole Wheat Flatbreads with Roasted Peach Salsa
For the Whole Wheat Flatbreads:
1 heaping tsp Active Dry Yeast
½ cup Warm Water
1 ½ cup Whole Wheat Flour, Divided
2 tsp Granulated Sugar of choice
½ tsp Salt
For the Cumin Spread:
1 15 oz. can Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp Tahini
Juice of 1 Lemon
½ tsp Cumin
Salt to taste
For the Roasted Peach Salsa:
1 ½ lbs. Fresh Peaches
1 small Jalapeño, seeds removed
1 small Red Onion
1 cup Seedless Cucumber, diced
Juice of 1 Lime
½ tsp Salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. Prepare the flatbread dough. In a large non-metal bowl, combine the Yeast, Warm Water, and Sugar. Stir gently, then let sit for 5-7 minutes, or until the yeast blooms and there is a layer of "foam" on the top of the liquid.
3. While you are waiting, combine 1 cup of Whole Wheat flour with 1/2 tsp of Salt in a separate bowl and set aside.
4. Once the yeast is ready, add in 1/2 cup of Whole Wheat flour (Note: this is the remaining flour you did not mix with the salt) to the bowl and stir well. Then, add the Flour and Salt mixture to the bowl in small increments, incorporating it into the dough each time.
5. Eventually, you will need to transfer the dough to a counter and knead with your hands. Knead for 5-7 minutes, adding any additional flour in 1 tbsp increments, if needed.
6. Rinse out the large bowl, and return the kneaded dough to it. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 45 - 60 minutes.
7. In the meantime, prepare the Peach Salsa. Remove the pits from the Peaches and place them onto a lined baking tray. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, then remove and let cool.
8. Finely dice the Jalapeño, Red Onion, and Seedless Cucumber, and combine them into a bowl with the juice of one Lime and the Salt. Once the peaches have cooled, dice them into bite sized pieces and add them to this mixture, stirring well.
9. Combine all of the ingredients for the Cumin Spread in a food processor and blend until creamy.
10. Once the dough has risen, transfer it to a floured surface and separate into three equal pieces. Roll each piece out into a thin, oblong shape to form the flatbreads.
11. Bake each flatbread in a large nonstick pan or skillet over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. (Note: If you would like to add 1 tsp of oil to the pan to crisp the edges of the flatbreads you may, but this is not necessary)
12. Top each Flatbread with a thick layer of the Cumin Spread and a hearty serving of the Peach Salsa.
Caitlin Shoemaker is a recipe developer, content creator, and life enthusiast who is passionate about living a healthy, ethical, and mindful lifestyle - all while showing others how easy it can be.