If you’re anything like me during this season, you’re rarely seen without a warm cup of something in your hands. I dreamed up this recipe while craving something with a real kick in it. A drink that’s not too gentle but rather makes you go ‘Oh! Whoa!’ Incredible ingredients with both detoxifying and overall health-boosting properties dance together in this concoction.
Cleansing Spiced Tonic
1 thumb fresh ginger
1 thumb fresh turmeric
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp whole black pepper
3 cups water
2 tbsp high quality honey
1 lemon, the juice
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1. Scrub and slice ginger and turmeric.
2. Add to a mortar with the cloves and pepper. Use pestle to smash spices to a gooey mix.
3. Add to a small saucepan along with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and let simmer for 20 minutes with lid on. Remove from heat.
4. Let cool slightly before running it all through a sieve/strainer and into a jug. Compost the dry mix of spices you're left with (or use it to flavor your next stew!).
5. Add the last 1 cup of water to the jug along with the lemon juice and honey. Whisk until honey is dissolved.
6. Serve in glasses or mugs with some fresh rosemary.
View the previous New Year Detox recipe here.
About our guest food blogger:
Elenore Bendel Zahn is a health coach, organic gardener, writer, photographer, and the founder of Earthsprout, one of our favorite resources for seasonal vegan recipes. "All I create is brought to life with the intention of shaking things up and create a better world. And it’s all very delicious in so many ways."