The Organic Trade Association hosted a #LiveOrganic Pop Up market in NYC this weekend (May 5+6) to bring awareness to organic farming, connect organic businesses and share new initiatives from brands focusing on farm to marketplace. We headed to NYC to be a part of this inspiring event. Here is a breakdown of the OTA & Coyuchi mission.
What Organic Means-
- Toxic synthetic pesticides, fertilizers and GMOs are NOT allowed in USDA Organic.
- Certified Organic Seed is always non-GMO and never treated with fungicides.
- Organic cotton uses 71% less water and 62% less energy than conventional production.
- Organic wool comes from sheep who eat 100% organic feed and roam outdoors.
- Organic farmers are not exposed to toxic agricultural chemicals.
- GOTS certification prohibits heavy metals, formaldehyde + aromatic solvents during processing.
The Organic + Textile Connection-
- Around 20% of industrial water pollution in the world comes from the treatment and dyeing of textiles.
- Organic textiles do not contain allergenic, carcinogenic or toxic chemicals.
- A third of our lives are spent in bed and our skin is the largest organ in our bodies. A comfortable and relaxing space to rest and restore our bodies should include organic cotton bedding.
- Coyuchi started on a path to sustainability 25 years ago with the introduction of organic cotton sheets and towels. Organic is not a trend we are hopping on, it's why we started this business. It’s what we’re made of.
- Coyuchi remains committed to organic cotton because we can see the positive impact organic farming has on the environment and the people producing our fiber and products.
- We seek out GOTS certified processing which prohibits the use of formaldehyde, chlorine bleach and heavy metals.
- In 2014 we began working with Fair Trade USA, Fair Trade Certified™, a product certification program that promotes equitable trade practices, working with farms and factories around the world to improve wages, benefits and conditions for workers.
- Knowing how important organic fiber and sustainable practices are to our customers, we have gone one step further in extending the longevity of our organic cotton bedding and towels by ensuring it won’t end up in a landfill when you subscribe to our new circular subscription service – Coyuchi for Life.
We loved connecting with everyone at the pop-up. Follow our Instagram & Facebook to stay inspired! Check out the Fiber and Textiles section of OTA.com for extensive resources on the benefits of choosing organic textiles then head over to shop our Organic Sheet Set, for bedding you can feel good about.
Above Image by: @eyeswoon