With autumn here, I am enjoying the subtle changes that come with the season. Seeing the bounty of beauty with the leaves changing, pumpkins, squashes, persimmons and pomegranates makes me so happy. I also can appreciate the gradual slowing down that comes with the sun setting earlier. A feeling of wanting to get cozy with loved ones at home. With this grounding energy though, there also comes the series of events and activities that come with the Holidays. With the busy time ahead, we can do certain things to insure we feel calm and balanced. I have put together some tips that I try and follow over the holidays, so I hope they may help you too stay peaceful and calm during this time.
Tip 2: One way I like to start my days especially with the chaos of the Holiday season is with meditation. Meditating first thing in the morning can set the tone for the entire day. Having a moment to connect with your internal self or spirit, and set intentions can completely change the course of events in a day. Simply tuning in before you start your day, with some breathing in and out and stilling the mind, you can settle your nervous system.
Here is a simple meditation exercise.
1) Sit upright, comfortable and relaxed, with your hands on your knees or thighs, palms up or palms down or resting, one on the other, in your lap.
2) Turn your eyes slightly downward and close them gently. This removes visual distractions and reduces your brain-wave activity by about seventy-five percent, thus helping to calm the mind.
3) Your mouth should be closed so all breathing is done through the nose. This, too, aids in quieting the mind. Though your mouth is closed, the jaw muscles should be relaxed so the upper and lower teeth are not clenched or touching one another, but parted.
4) Inhale and exhale slowly and deeply three or four times, feeling the inhaling and exhaling breath moving in and out through your nostrils.
5) Do this for 10 minutes and allow thoughts to just stream in and out and to eventually drift away like falling leaves. Eventually you will notice the mind will calm down and seem clear.
Please share in the comments below if you have any holiday mindfulness tips, as I would love to hear!
About Shiva Rose: Shiva Rose is the creator of the holistic life style web site www.thelocalrose.com which focuses on living in a green yet chic manner. The site touches upon organic food recipes, natural beauty, and spirituality. She has a non-toxic beauty line called Shiva Rose Beauty created from high vibrational botanicals and essential oils. She lives with her daughters near the Santa Monica Mountains with their tribe of animals and honey bees where they grow their own food and honor Mother Earth.